A gas turbine or a steam turbine can be used to generate electricity in a power plant. You can choose the turbine depending on your needs. Both types of wind turbines have advantages and disadvantages. You can choose the best turbine if you have enough information about them.
The basic working principle of a gas turbine is nearly identical to that of an internal combustion engine. Because of their advantages, engineering firms now prefer gas turbines over steam turbines. So, in this post, we will discuss the benefits of a gas turbine over a steam turbine.
What is a Gas turbine?
A gas turbine, as the name suggests, is powered by the combustion of gas. The combination of fuel and compressed air produces extremely hot exhaust gas, which can reach temperatures of over 1,500 degrees Celsius. The Brayton Cycle results in the production of these gases.To allow hot compressed air to flow over the turbine blades and create rotation, the gas turbine requires a compressor, combustion chamber, and the actual turbine. This energy is used to keep the compressor’s air flow going as well as to generate electricity and power.
OEMs and gas turbine services are racing to achieve consistent 60% efficiency on these types of turbines, with some companies getting close. The gas turbine is one of the internal combustion engines that uses air as a working fluid to rotate the turbine and operates on a Brayton cycle. At the rotor shaft, it converts the chemical energy of the fuel into mechanical energy. The compressor, combustion chamber, and turbine are the main components of a gas turbine. The compressed air from the atmosphere enters the compressor and is sent into the combustion chamber.
The combustion chamber mixes compressed air with fuel and ignites the air-fuel mixture. The mixture’s kinetic energy and temperature rise as it burns. These hot gases are now expanded into the turbine to turn the rotor shaft. The gas turbine requires less floor space for installation and has lower operating costs, but one of its main disadvantages is that it has lower thermal efficiency.
What is Steam Turbine?
The rotors of a steam turbine, on the other hand, are moved by the expansion of water as it turns to steam. This high-velocity steam is applied to the rotors, which spin and power the generator. As a result, electricity is generated.
The steam turbine’s relatively simple design makes it easier to maintain. For industrial steam turbines, a steam turbine can achieve up to 90% efficiency, and sometimes even higher. As a result, steam turbines are the most efficient in the majority of applications.
We have the expertise and experience you need if you need steam turbine services or gas turbine services. Contact us today to schedule any necessary services, repairs, or maintenance. In a steam turbine, the heat energy contained in the steam is first used to propel the steam, which is then used to power blades mounted on a free-rotating shaft or drum. However, gas turbines have several advantages over steam turbines, which are listed below.
Advantages of Gas Turbine
- The gas turbine was designed to operate at inlet temperatures as high as 800 degrees Celsius, while the steam turbine and boiler were designed to operate at temperatures as low as 580 degrees Celsius. When all other factors are equal in both turbines, the efficiency of gas turbines is significantly higher than that of steam turbines.
- Because water is used for cooling in a steam turbine plant, there is a risk of freezing on winter nights. In gas turbine plants, there is no danger of freezing.
- Because a gas turbine does not require a boiler like a steam turbine, its weight and space requirements are less than those of a steam turbine. Gas turbines are more compact than steam turbines for the same output.
The initial investment is much lower than that of a steam turbine.
- The design and construction of this plant are straightforward. It is lighter in weight and has fewer reciprocating parts.
- The gas turbine is very useful in areas where there is a scarcity of water that can be used to generate steam.
Global suppliers like WOC GE Speedtronic for your Speedtronic system. OEM Speedtronic and GE Excitation replacement components are available from them. They offer a wide selection of products, such as DS200TCQBG1B, IC660ELB912J, IC3600AOAL1C, IC3600SCBD4A etc.